четверг, 9 марта 2023 г.

Have mercy on me, for I have sinned


 

 “LORD, be merciful to me; Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You.” Psalm 41:4

The mercy that the psalmist wants is the forgiveness of sins, the deliverance from sins. He wants mercy because he has sinned. His sin is his argument for receiving mercy. A self-righteous person, who relies on his own righteousness, will not pray like this. A Pharisee will not pray like this, Jesus said that the tax collector's prayer was answered not the prayer of the Pharisee because he asked for nothing but praised himself. If a beggar comes to my house asking for money and starts telling me how rich he is, how well he earns, I will find it strange. It is equally strange to ask God for mercy and boast of one's own merits. A doctor will find it strange if a patient comes to him and says: "Heal me because I am very healthy." This is how the self-righteous Pharisee prays.

The psalmist knows that sin is a soul disease  and believes that only God can heal.

He has sinned, that's why he can expect mercy.

Topical meditation: 

Psalmist’s prayers for God’s mercy with right arguments


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий