среда, 3 мая 2023 г.

Psalmist’s battles and God’s victory: Encouraged by past victories

 

Topical meditation:

 Psalmist’s battles and God’s victory

Day 3

For they did not gain possession of the land by their own sword, Nor did their own arm save them; But it was Your right hand, Your arm, and the light of Your countenance, Because You favored them. Psalm 44:3

Through You we will push down our enemies; Through Your name we will trample those who rise up against us. For I will not trust in my bow, Nor shall my sword save me. But You have saved us from our enemies, And have put to shame those who hated us. Psalm 44:5-7

I see two important things in these verses about spiritual warfare and victory. Remembering past victories helps to believe in future victories. The psalmist has heard what victories God had given their fathers in the past and being encouraged by this, he believes that there will be victories in the future with God's power. I really love  John Bunyan's book ‘’The Pilgrim's Progress’’. I have just remembered  what Hopeful told to Christian in the Doubting Castle of  Giant Despair: "My brother, remember how valiant you have been up to this time! Apollyon could not crush you—nor could all that you heard, or saw, or experienced in the Valley of the Shadow of Death. What hardship and terror you have already gone through—but now are you so fearful?’’

When the fight gets tough, it's helpful to remember the past victories that the Lord has given us.

The psalmist also saw that their fathers were not saved from their enemies by their own sword and their own strength, but the hand of God gave them victory. That is why he does not trust his sword, his bow, his strength, but he relies on the Lord.

I want to summarize what I learned from these verses: if God has given victory in the past, then I believe that He will give victory in the future. If my sword and my bow have failed me in the past, I will not trust them in the future.

  Topical meditation 2023

May 3

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий