воскресенье, 11 июня 2023 г.

Encourage yourself like David did: Encourage yourself remembering God’s works

 

I will remember the works of the LORD; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. Psalm 77:11
If I remember my troubles, my wrong deeds, the wrong deeds of others, I will be discouraged, but if I remember the works of God, I will surely be encouraged. The works of the Lord in the past encourage us to expect by faith His works and wonders in the present and in the future. I have seen His wonders and wonderful works in the past, and I know I will see them now too, because my Lord does not go on vacation, He continues to do His wonderful works. So how can I be discouraged and worried?
Counting blessings, keeping a gratitude journal is a wonderful way to remember and be encouraged by God's works.
I have been greatly blessed and encouraged by Spurgeon's meditation on this subject.
‘’ Whatever else may glide into oblivion, the marvellous works of the Lord in the ancient days must not be suffered to be forgotten. Memory is a fit handmaid for faith. When faith has its seven years of famine, memory like Joseph in Egypt opens her granaries.
Faith hath a good memory, and can tell the Christian many stories of ancient mercies; and when his present meal falls short, it can entertain the soul with a cold dish, and not complain that God keeps a bad house. Thus David recovered himself, when he was even tumbling down the hill of temptation: ‘’This is my infirmity; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High. I will remember thy wonders of old. ‘’
Therefore, Christian, when thou art in the depths of affliction, and Satan tempts thee to asperse God, as if he were forgetful of thee, stop his mouth with this: No, Satan, God hath not forgot to do for me, but I have forgot what he hath done for me, or else I could not question his fatherly care at present over me. Go, Christian, play over thy own lessons, praise God for past mercies, and it will not be long before thou hast a new song put into thy mouth for a present mercy...’’
Let me remember what this topical meditation reminded me about encouraging myself with verses from Psalms.
1. I will encourage myself remembering God’s forgiveness
2. I will encourage myself because God is my refuge and help
3. I will encourage myself because God is merciful, because He cares for me
4. I will encourage myself because God answered my prayers
5. I will encourage myself because God is my Guide and my Teacher
6. I will encourage myself because God gives me victory
7. I will encourage myself remembering God’s works in the past

Topical meditation 2023

June 11

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий